Today, flying is the most preferred and convenient way to travel, especially for international flights. If we go back in time when buying a flight ticket, it all ends with the choice of seat. Now things are much different.
The various airlines offer you a wide selection of classes, namely :
- Premium Economy
- First Class
These can range from basic services to complete comfort and the opportunity to take advantage of great extras such as food, drinks, and much more. That cannot seem very clear when choosing a class, especially if you rarely have to travel.
In this regard, Premium Economy Class and Economy Class are often confused and accepted as one type of class, but this is not true. There is a significant difference between them, so every passenger needs to get acquainted with their characteristics.
In short, we can say that Premium Economy Class is a combination of Economy and Business Class in terms of price, comfort, and convenience.
Certainly, Premium Economy Class is a much better choice than Economy. But how does Premium Economy exceed Economy Class, and what are the main differences between the two types?
This article will look at just that, explaining what Premium Economy is, what the differences are, and how much more expensive it is than Economy Class.
What is Premium Economy?
As we said above, Premium Economy is the bridge between Economy Class and Business Class. Also known as Economy Plus Class and Elite Economy Class, Premium Economy is undoubtedly something more and better than Economy Class. Still, fortunately for many people, it is not as expensive as Business and First Class.
The history of Premium Economy dates back to 1991, as EVA Air was the first to introduce Evergreen Class. A little later, it was renamed to Elite Class and later renamed to Premium Economy Class. From there, its popularity began to grow.
Interesting Facts About Premium Economy
There are some interesting facts about Premium Economy that present some of the advantages of this class and why we should choose it.
- Premium Economy includes wider seats, more space to recline, and around 5-7 inches of extra legroom. This provides passengers with much more comfortable traveling than Economy Class.
- In some cases, there is a separate food menu and entertainment.
- And last but not least, the Premium Economy fare is about 65% less expensive than a Business Class fare. With Premium Economy, you are much closer to the experience of Business Class.
You will certainly ensure a more comfortable trip than in Economy Class, but you do not pay the Business and First Class fare.
Economy vs. Premium Economy?
One of the main questions is: Which one to choose – Economy or Premium Economy and whether it is worth betting on Premium Economy?
Our answer is a resounding yes. The benefits that the higher class can offer you are certainly worth it. Keep in mind, however, that the differences and what you could get from Premium Economy vary.
It depends on the airline you choose and the type of aircraft you will be flying.
And yet, some of the most significant advantages of Premium Economy are :
- wider seats
- more legroom
- extra inches of seat recline
- a larger selection of premium meals
- greater privacy
- larger personal entertainment screens
- power outlets
- priority service from flight attendants during meal and drink service
- extra snacks and drinks
- upgraded blankets and pillow, and much more
What are Premium Economy seats like on Various Airlines?
As we shared, Premium Economy is different on each airline. Let’s look at some of the most famous airlines and find out more about what to expect from Premium Economy on each of them.
Delta Flights is one of the top airlines which have the best Business Class. In addition, it provides an improved Delta Premium Select cabin on some of its international flights.
Some of the best advantages of Premium Economy are:
- More space for your legs
- A slightly wider seat with a recline and an adjustable leg rest in some international flights
- Dedicated flight attendant
- Improved entertainment
Air Canada is also trying to offer affordable flights with great amenities.
By choosing Air Canada and Premium Economy, the benefits you can take advantage of are:
- Priority boarding check-in and baggage handling
- Two-free checked bags
- Premium onside boarding
- Complimentary wine and spirits
- Extra legroom
- Modern entertainment system
- USB port so you can charge your phone if you need
This airline is another one that tries to offer the best Premium Class.
What you will get from Premium Class is:
- Wider seats – more legroom and wider, adjustable leather seats with extendable foot and headrests
- Chef-inspired meal with complimentary beer, wine, and spirit. Keep in mind that the number of drinks served may be limited
- A pillow and blanket for more comfort
- Wi-Fi, power outlets, and USB ports
- Free, personal on-demand entertainment with larger monitors and noise canceling headphones.
Premium Economy on United Airlines is known as Economy Plus, and what you will get as advantages is:
- Seat towards the front of the main cabin so that you can quickly get off the plane when landing.
- Additional space to relax or work.
- Extra legroom for your comfort.
How much more expensive is a Premium Economy ticket than economy?
It is difficult to say how much more expensive Premium Economy is than Economy. It depends on two factors: the chosen airline and the route that you’re flying. Usually, Premium Economy tickets can be increased between 30% and 100% of those for Economy Class.
There is no specific formula that can be used to calculate and estimate how much it would cost you if you choose Premium Economy. In addition, what the price will be is based on supply and demand.
When searching for Premium Economy flights, we recommend you compare what different airlines offer and the prices for each of them. Only then can you find the perfect flight and decide if it’s worth it.
Is it better to fly Premium Economy or Economy?
There is no doubt that Premium Economy passengers have a better choice than Economy. But here comes the question: What is your budget, and what is the price you are willing to pay to get a better experience?
It is essential to take into account the duration of the flight and your needs and personal preferences. If you care about your comfort, we advise you during long haul flights to choose Premium Economy. Only then will you be sure that you will provide yourself with a little more convenience.
How to Get Upgraded from Economy to Premium?
When you book a standard economy ticket, you will have the opportunity to upgrade it. Most airlines will first try to get their customers to pay for premium seats before offering them free.
Still, we must say, there are many cases in which the airline will offer you specific discounts when you’re at the gate. In addition, some airlines have “informal rules” for deciding who to provide free premium seats too. For example, depending on your status, you may be able to upgrade.
In any case, always read and check the rules and requirements for upgrading from Economy to Premium, so as not to be unpleasantly surprised.
However, if you are going to travel and buy plane tickets, we advise you to consider Premium Economy Class. It would undoubtedly be a pleasant experience, and you will find out for yourself if it is worth spending more money on flight tickets.
Image source: unsplash.com